Advising legal professionals
You’ve invested in a fine education, worked hard and taken risks. We help you navigate your financial decisions, making sure you’re investing tax-effectively. Legal professionals lead complex lives, often have assets in the U.S. and Europe and need sophisticated financial management. If you are a partner in your firm, we can help you navigate investment constraints and/or blacklisted stocks imposed by independence restrictions.
We can ensure that you:
- Have an adequately funded retirement plan (because you will have very little or no pension income to count on);
- Take advantage of the top tax minimization strategies for legal professionals (we assist with , incorporating the latest tax strategies and make sure you take advantage of all eligible tax credits, timing of capital gains exemption claims, and available investment planning options to improve your long-term financial situation);
- Have a strategy in place to ensure your current income will continue throughout your retirement;
- Protect your income, assets, family and legal practice;
- Have prepared a succession plan that works for you, your successors and your practice, even if you are many years away from passing the torch;
- Incorporate your legal practice;
- Understand the financial options available to you and choose the ones that best suit your life and your practice;
- Borrow tax-effectively;
- Enjoy the flexibility of early morning and late night meetings;
- Take advantage of dollar cost averaging, income splitting and creating RRSP contribution room to help minimize the tax you pay and maximize your investment potential.
Testimonials from Lawyers and Legal Professionals
"I have been with Nick and Joe Bakish for several years. In that time they have been up-to-date on important information, knowledgeable and reliable. In addition to their hard work and effort they allowed me to understand and choose the right options for a comfortable retirement. They are easy going and are consistent in their work."
— Jean Charette, Senior Litigation Counsel at Intact Insurance
“As a partner in a law firm my priorities and goals differ from those in other professions. As such, having an advisor that understands my financial concerns and needs is a must. Working with Bakish Wealth Management, they have near constant availability for anything that I may need and are readily available to answer all my questions. In addition, they put the necessary time aside to meet with me around my schedule; late nights and early mornings are never an issue.”
— Vitale Santoro, Partner at Dentons
“I have been doing business with Nick and Joe for many years as a center of influence in addition to them handling my finances. I have directly witnessed them grow their business to specialize in the medical community as I handle the incorporation process. Being a lawyer, my schedule differs from other professions and Nick and Joe Bakish are always available, a key attribute of their business success."
— Morris Jacobson, Partner at Spiegel Sohmer
“I have known Nick, Joe and the Bakish Wealth Management Team for many years. In that time they have shown a wide understanding of my professional and personal circumstances as a partner in a law firm where they cater to my individual needs as well. Each team member is readily available for any question or concerns I have and Nick and Joe both have a great understanding of their profession and present several different planning options ultimately leaving the decision in my hands”
— Francois Paradis, Partner at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP