A retirement solution for high income earners
For business owners and professionals, an Individual Pension Plan (IPP) may provide a solution to fund retirement income. Introduced in 1991 by the Federal Government, IPPs provide tax-deductible and tax-deferred contributions for retirement, including past service benefits and increased annual contribution room compared to RRSPs. Sometimes referred to as Personal Pension Plans, IPPs utilize a Defined Benefit funding formula which in simple terminology means that annual contributions must be able to fund a retirement benefit that is predetermined.
IPPs provide the following benefits:
• Ability to attract and retain key employees
• Guaranteed benefit regardless of market performance
• Deductibility of contributions as expenses for tax purposes
for the employer
• Higher contribution limits than RRSPs in appropriate situations
• Potential for increasing contribution limits each year
• Flexible benefit options at retirement or upon termination of employment including annuity, locked in RRSP, Life Income Fund
or Locked in RRIF
Interested in learning more?
We're happy to provide you with a copy of our full article on Individual Pension Plans. Contact us to receive a copy,